Visit the volcano that destroyed Pompeii on this fascinating 4-hour trip to Mt. Vesuvius from Sorrento. Travelling to the top of the only active volcano in continental Europe, you will have panoramic views of the legendary Bay of Naples.
Departure from Sorrento to the crater of Mount Vesuvius. This is only an active volcano in mainland Europe that dominates the Bay of Naples! Mount Vesuvius is best knows for its eruption in 79 A.D. that led to the burning and destruction of the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum. It's estimated that 16.000 of lives died under the eruption while the volcano was turning the idyllic, overgrown scope into sand and ashes within only a few hours. It was exactly the ash which preserved and protected the vibrant city of Pompeii just at the volcano's feet against the elements until future archaeologists unearthed this snapshot in time.
Drive up to the Mount Vesuvius at the high of 1000 meters from where, if you wish, you can walk up to the crater accompanied by an authorized Alpine guide who will be at your disposal for any questions.What's included
- Transportation with private bus
- Pick-up from centrally located meeting points
- Authorized English speaking guideWhat's not included
- Entrance to the crater
- LunchAdditional Information
- Not recommended for patients with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions - A moderate amount of walking is involved - Not wheelchair accessible - Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled two days, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- You have to confirm the collection time and the meeting point with the supplier before the trip. Please note that departure and times may vary.
Transportation with private bus, Pick-up from centrally located meeting points, Authorized English speaking guide